The rationale behind creating this 16 hour course was based upon the need of the average officer to improve their ability to interact with the public. By improving communication officers can reduce the likelihood of unnecessarily escalating situations, creating confusion between officers and the public, along with improving the public’s confidence in the officer’s abilities.
The student will have an improved appreciation of their ability to interact with the public through the lecture and interactive exercises. The student will be able to participate in classroom discussion about improving communication and how the public’s perception affects how professional they appear.
- Primary styles of law enforcement communication.
- Verbal communication skills
- Non verbal communication
- Establish listening skills
- Displaying integrity
- Conducting proactive patrols
- Identifying tactics to improve citizen contacts